Seeing Clearly With Contact Lenses at VistaSite Eye Care
Contact lenses offer a convenient and popular alternative to eyeglasses for vision correction. These lenses can correct refractive vision errors like nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism without the hassle of carrying a specialized pair of glasses. But before you dive into the world of contacts, you must understand the different types available and how to choose the perfect pair for your eyes. VistaSite Eye Care in Bronx, NY, is here to tell you about the importance of a contact lens exam and how it can help determine the correct contacts for your visual needs and preferences.
The Importance of a Contact Lens Exam
A contact lens exam is essential before wearing contact lenses. Your optometrist will assess your eye health, measure your corneal curvature, and determine your tear production. A contact lens exam will typically include the following:
• Visual acuity test: Your optometrist will use this to measure your ability to see clearly at different distances.
• Corneal topography: Your eye doctor will use this to map the curvature of your cornea to ensure proper lens fit.
• Slit-lamp examination: This exam evaluates the health of your cornea, conjunctiva, and other eye structures.
• Tear film assessment: Your optometrist does this to determine the quality and quantity of your tears, which can impact lens comfort.
Based on these evaluations, your eye doctor will recommend the most suitable type of contact lens for your needs and lifestyle.
Types of Contact Lenses
The diverse landscape of contact lenses offers a solution to each patient’s unique visual needs and lifestyle. The most frequent contact lenses our optometrist will prescribe include:
• Soft lenses: Soft contacts are the most common type of lenses. These lenses are known for their comfort and flexibility. They come in daily disposable, weekly, or monthly wear options.
• Rigid gas permeable lenses: Rigid gas permeable contacts are more durable and offer sharper vision than soft ones. Rigid gas permeable lenses are especially beneficial for people with astigmatism or irregular corneas. However, they require an adjustment period and may not be as comfortable as soft lenses.
• Toric lenses: Specially designed for people with astigmatism, these contacts correct blurry vision caused by an unevenly shaped cornea.
• Multifocal lenses: These contacts address the need for near and distance vision correction, making them ideal for people with presbyopia.
Talk with your eye doctor to determine which contact lenses best suit your unique visual needs and preferences. Choosing the correct contacts ensures optimal vision, comfort, and eye health.
Contact VistaSite Eye Care to Get the Perfect Pair of Contact Lenses for Your Visual Needs
Getting the correct pair of contact lenses for your visual needs and lifestyle is vital for ensuring healthy eyes and vision, so contact VistaSite Eye Care in Bronx, NY, to schedule a contact lens exam today. We offer several contact lens options to improve your vision, so call us and schedule an appointment at (718) 320-2222 to experience the life-changing benefits of contact lenses.